So where do we start when it comes to writing effective email campaigns?
- MAKE IT PERSONAL: Don't talk about lists, refrain from talking about subscribers. Write as if you’re emailing one person only, make them feel it is about them!
- DON'T WASTE PEOPLE'S TIME: If you don't have anything truly valuable or helpful to say, then don;t waste your time or their's!
- BE HELPFUL: Don’t just email when you need something from your readers. Be helpful. Be generous. Be friendly. Be like real friend.
- SEND THE EMAIL FROM A REAL PERSON: Put your name and reputation on the line... make it more personal.
- MAKE SURE WHEN SOMEONE SIGNS UP TO THE EMAIL THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE GETTING: Let people know you are trustworthy and that they know what to expect. Yes, sales messages should be part of your email marketing, that’s fine. Just be clear about it when they sign up.
- DON'T OVER PERSONALISE: Writing to a specific person is fine, but don’t repeat people’s name too often, because it makes you sound like a call center script.
- CONNECT WITH YOUR READER: Empathy will go along way to connecting with the person reading the email. Remind people that they’re not alone. Tell them you understand their struggles. Ask how you can help? Make the email about them rather than you!
- MAKE IT WORTH THEIR WHILE: People will always be more likely to do something if they can get something out of it! So why not share a useful tip? Make them feel better? Inspire them?